Formed in Christchurch, but soon moved to Auckland hard-rock outfit from the mid-late 90s. Led by guitarist / vocalist Tony Hallum and a procession of supporting players including drums Jason Young (Loves Ugly Children) and Dave Toland (They Were Expendable).
Released a self-titled EP and an album on Felix Records – a sub-label of well-known Auckland-based hard-rock indie Wildside Records. The single and music video ‘Big Dumb Future’ featured a guest rap by MC Rhythm Slave:
Cannon Fodder was recorded at Ground Zero studio and was released on January 31, 1997. The band played the 1997 95bFM Summer Series in Albert Park but they were unable to get funding to make a new video and the project faltered.
Hallum moved back to Christchurch to be with his girlfriend. In June 1997 the band played the Audio Overload concert at the late, great Caledonian Hall in Christchurch with Salmonella Dub, HLAH etc. Hallum recorded an 8-track demo for a second album but was unable to get record company interest, so the band folded.AudioCulture profile of Future Stupid
- Tony Hallum (Hoover, Sun Sonic Thing, guitar / vocals)
- Mykel Cole (bass)
- Gavin Downie (Hallelujah Picassos, guitar)
- Jason Young (Loves Ugly Children, drums)
- Deryck Hunt (Semi Lemon Kola, Goat Witch, Spider Goat Canyon, Propeller, Daggers Mid Flight, drums)
- Mark Rees (Subtrack, drums)
- Dave Toland (Belle Motions, Chicane, Evilis, Not Really Anything, Playthings, Springloader, They Were Expendable, drums)
- Future Stupid EP (1996, Felix Records)
- Cannon Fodder (1997, Felix Records)