wellington-based independent label with a broad range of musical styles, formed by brent gleave and jason harding (aka dj clinton smiley) in late 2001. though capital’s initial focus seemed to be geared toward electronic artists, with the back to back releases of jazz combo twinset’s it’s a summer feeling and the debut of flash harry (aka barnaby weir of popular reggae outfit the black seeds) capital recordings started to show some diversity, a positive step considering the label isn’t opposed to issuing vinyl releases.
they’ve since signed wellington rock outfit stylus77, the acclaimed phoenix foundation debut, and released the shayne carter produced dimmer-heavy for good soundtrack, along with a growing number of releases in the earwork electronic series and further electronic releases from the likes of datsun stereo, jet jaguar etc.
picks in bold
- earwork002 [2002 CREC1001]
- capital base [2002 CREC1002]
- earwork003 [2002 CREC1003]
- earwork004 [2002 CREC1004]
- capitalrecordings artists – #05 [2003 CREC1005]
- compilation [2004 CREC1015]
- for good soundtrack [2004 shayne carter and others CREC1017]
- capital recordings website [official website]
- capital recordings email [official email]
- capitalrecordings ltdrn
- po box 1395rn
- new zealand [postal address]