Nux Vomica were a punky underground-rock group from mid-1980’s Christchurch featuring snotty, ranting vocals from Lawrence Kennett (aka Lawrence Lens), driving bass from Phillip Hubbard, and a young Lisa Preston on her Yamaha Electone keyboard.
The group played regularly and toured with The Axemen (Lawrence was responsible for a lot of their Super 8 films), with saxophonist Alan Wright playing double-duty in both bands at the time.
The core of the group would re-unite in similar group The Portage – re-recording a couple songs that appeared on Nux Vomica’s live compilation.
The original recordings are impossible to get hold of, but Leather Jacket Records are planning an archival release of the bands material.
Chris Small passed away in 2016.
- Lawrence Kennett (aka Lawrence Lens, The Droogs, The Portage, vocals / guitar)
- Lisa Preston (The Portage, Lo-Liners, Snort, Thee Hellfire Club, The Luvin’ 44’s, The Ginger Group, The Tryhards, Space Dust, Cuticles, organ / vocals)
- Vikki Wilkinson (The Puddle, bass)
- Phillip Hubbard (bass / vocals)
- Chris Small (The Portage, drums)
- Pete Gorman (guitar)
- Alan Wright (The Axemen, saxophone)
- ‘My Life to Live’ / ‘T.V. Producer’ 7″ single (1986, self-released, PR2361)
- Live ’85 – ’87 (live compilation, 1988, Valis, VALIS002)