NOTE: This post probably contains quite a few errors and an inaccurate timeline – there is very little info online about old Christchurch venues, so I welcome all corrections and additions!
Though I have no experience of 112a Lichfield Street when it was in its prime as a venue – i.e. when known as Metropolis – I did see a couple shows upstairs from the Honeypot Cafe when the venue was known as the Green Room.
In fact my debut as a performer was here in 1998, playing Bass guitar in Mysterioball – a grotty punk band that at that stage was just a duo (along with guitarist/vocalist Kyle Denovan). We had been invited to perform by our pals the Davidson Collective, in a show that was part of Christchurch Art Week – somehow we came on after a stage-play!
The Green Room (and presumably both Hofbrauhaus and Metropolis before it) was a tiny upstairs Cafe/Bar, with a small area in the corner allocated for performers. Eventually the Cafe would become the Honeypot Pizza Bar before being claimed by the Canterbury Earthquakes of 2010/2011.
The live music performance that sticks out in my memory was that of Nick Hodgson (later Harte) in his pre-Shocking Pinks group The Incisions, absolutely TEARING THE ROOF off the place by double-amp’ing his guitar in such a tiny space. Needless to say The Green Room had noise complaint before the first song had even ended, presumably from the Honeypot downstairs.
Also known as: The Green Room, Hofbrauhaus Restaurant, Honeypot Pizza Bar
Location: 112a Lichfield Street, Central Christchurch – Above the Honeypot Cafe
Current Status: Demolished post-earthquake
Active as a live music venue: Early 90’s (Metropolis), 1997 – 2000 (The Green Room)
- ?: Hofbrauhaus Bar
- ?: Metropolis
- 1997: Venue becomes The Green Room.
- 2000: The Green Room shuts, becomes Honeypot Pizza Bar / Hofbrauhaus Restaurant.
- 2010: Building damaged and eventually demolished after the Canterbury earthquakes.
- 2013: Owner Rob Gould attempts to move the Honeypot Cafe to 458 Colombo Street (Sydenham), but goes into liquidation with debts amounting to $600,000
- 2015: Honeypot Cafe goes into liquidation for a 2nd time
- Honeypot Cafe goes into Liquidation again (Stuff.co.nz)