As Chris Knox’s regular side-man, Alec Bathgate’s always kept a couple steps back in his fellow Enemy, Toy Love and Tall Dwarfs shadow, but in 1996 he released a lovely little Byrds-jangle-pop album with heavy Beatles and Beach Boy flourishes, aptly titled ‘Gold Lame‘.
More technically competent than Knox, and somewhat reserved (in comparison at least), Bathgate is a reflective, precarious song-writer of great talent. It seems he takes great care in crafting his releases, and it was another 8 years before he resurfaced with the superb ‘Indifferent Velvet Void’, an album chock full of pop-classics and weighty lyrics.
Then it was a further 16 years before his 3rd solo LP arrived – the eclectic instrumental release ‘Phantom Dots’, on German label Thokei Tapes.
- Alec Bathgate (The Enemy, Toy Love, Tall Dwarfs, The Sundae Painters, guitar / bass / keyboards / production / vocals)
- Pet Hates 7″ Single (1995, Flying Nun Records, FN333)
- Gold Lame (1996, Flying Nun Records, FN353)
- Nunfest ’96 Etched 7″ (1995, Flying Nun Records, FN373)
- The Indifferent Velvet Void (2004, Lil Chief, LCR009)
- Phantom Dots (2020, Thokei Tapes, TT15)