NOTE: This post probably contains quite a few errors and an inaccurate timeline – there is very little info online about old Christchurch venues, so I welcome all corrections and additions!
Also known as: Gladstone Tavern, Durham Arms Hotel, DB Gladstone, The Christchurch Club, The Devonshire Arms, The Glad
Location: 328 Durham Street, Central Christchurch
Current Status: Demolished in 2005, replaced by commercial buildings
Active as a live music venue: 1971 – 1990
Bar Manager: –
The Gladstone has the doubtful distinction of being the last hotel in Christchurch to host a post mortem. The examination was carried out in July of 1901 by a Dr. William Diamond, who told the coroner that there was extreme difficulty working in such cramped and unsuitable quarters as those provided by a hotel and he sincerely hoped that something would be done about it soon. His wish was granted, for on that very day the eminent architect Mr. S Hurst-Seager, designer of the new morgue, had handed the keys to the completed building to the City Council.
– Stephen Symons’ ‘The Watering Holes’
- 1856: First Meeting of the Christchurch Club in the original building on the corner of Durham and Peterborough Streets’, Owned by George Woodman. The 1st Liquor in Christchurch is acquired a couple months later.
- 1862: The Christchurch Club moves to Latimer Square, the original building becomes the Devonshire Arms
- 1875: Christchurch Hotels are forced to accept cadavers prior to burial.
- 1876: Original building is replaced with a new larger, 2-Story Hotel under John Barrett’s ownership and christened the Gladstone Hotel.
- 1901: Christchurch’s last autopsy performed at a public house is done at the Gladstone, just days before the City morgue is opened.
- 1970: The Gladstone is purchased by DB Breweries.
- 1971: Under Gary Lings’ proprietorship the Gladstone becomes a popular live music venue.
- 1985: A proposed development on the site fails to eventuated when funding falls through, accommodation is closed and the Hotel becomes Gladstone Tavern.
- 1990: Renamed the Durham Arms.