Wreck Small Speakers On Expensive Stereos were a Dunedin-based duo consisting of Michael Morley (Guitar/Organ/Vocals – before forming the Dead C, 2 Foot Flame, Angelhead, Tanaka-Nixon Meeting, The Weeds) and Richard Ram (Bass/Guitar/Vocals) – though in an early video recording Morley states the group had formed ‘Up North’ before heading to Dunedin. The duo released a handful of handmade cassettes and had an affiliation with Bob Scott’s Every Secret Thing label, with both album releases and compilation appearances. Their most well known material is the River Falling Love EP which was released on Flying Nun in 1986 before being expanded and re-released by US label Ajax in 1993. Morley formed the Dead C in 1987, effectively bring an end to Wreck Small Speakers.
Featuring performances from other Dunedin musicians: Denise Roughan (Recorder/Vocals – Look Blue Go Purple, The 3Ds, Ghost Club), Ivan Purvis (Guitar – Love In A Gas Oven, Alpaca Brothers), Lesley Paris (Drums – Look Blue Go Purple, The Puddle, Olla), Bruce Blucher (Drums – Cyclops, Trash, Fats Thompson, Brown Velvet Couch, Alpaca Brothers) and Martin Kean (The Chills, Doublehappys, Fats Thompson, Stereolab). The groups recordings are based around strong rhythm tracks – usually plucked bass guitar and drum machine, with shout-sung vocals, fractured guitar riffs and organ squeels, with samples and other sound manipulations added into the mix. Though experimental, Wreck Small Speakers retained a high level of musicality and accessibility.
Both their creative genius and the quality of their songs really shines through on the groups lo-fi cassette recordings. The slinky, funky bass and proto-rap vocals on ‘Over My Skull’, the low-key beauty of River Falling Love highlight ‘All Of This’, and Denise Roughan’s wonderful appearance on their most well-known song ‘Rain’. Small scraps of the bands fairly substantial discography have appeared in the digitally archived era, however if ever there was a Flying Nun associated act that could use an anthology release it would be Wreck Small Speakers – its been almost two decades since Morley’s Dead C band mate Bruce Russell released A Child’s Guide To Wreck Small Speakers on his own Xpressway label.
- Michael Morley (Guitar/Organ/Vocals, 198?-1987)
- Richard Ram (Bass/Guitar/Vocals, 198?-1987)
- Denise Roughan (Recorder/Vocals, 198?)
- Lesley Paris (Drums, 198?)
- Ivan Purvis (Guitar, 198?)
- Bruce Blucher (Drums, 198?)
- Martin Kean (198?)
- My Blue Fairy Godmother [1983 Wrecked Music WRECK14]
- 3.V.M. EP [1983 Wrecked Music WRECK20]
- Over My Skull Cassette Single [1984 Every Secret Thing EST 06]
- Cave Cassette [1984 Every Secret Thing EST 21]
- Worlds Fall Apart cassette [1984 Every Secret Thing EST 24]
- A Summer In Taradale Cassette [1985 self-released]
- River Falling Love ep [1986 Flying Nun FN068]
- A Child’s Guide To Wreck Small Speakers Cassette [1988 Xpressway XWAY03]
- River Falling Love Reissue [1993 Ajax AJAX 029]