Fairly free-improv and underground Dunedin-based group comprised of James Kirk (one time King Loser member, along with the Glen Campbell Experience), Tim Cornelius, Nathan Thompson and occasionally Mark Curragh.
Sandoz Research Laboratories was where Albert Hoffmann accidentally discovered LSD in the ’20s. There’s always been quite a heavy drug influence in the band. You’ve come across it.
– Tim Cornelius on the band names origin, taken from the Sandoz interview with Opprobrium
A fairly constant stream of releases on their own Blunt Instrumentals label, often comprised of off the cuff ramshackle performances (particularly their earlier recordings which date back to late 1993). With Curragh living in Australia, Thompson formed Unspecified with Cornelius, and Curragh and Thompson with Curragh, both as off-shoot additional side-projects.
Thompson keeps himself very busy by also performing in the Flies Inside The Sun off-shoot Sleep.
Discography (picks in bold)
- Lost Early Recordings Cassette [1993 Blunt Instrumentals Bint000]
- Sandoz Lab Technicians 8″ Lathe-Cut Ep [1994 Blunt Instrumentals Bint001]
- Big Shiney Ship Lathe-Cut 7″ Ep [1994 Blunt Instrumentals Bint002 / Bint004]
- Live! And 12b Cassette [1994 Blunt Instrumentals Bint003]
- Sandoz Lab Technicians Cassette [1995 Blunt Instrumentals Bint008]
- Daily Light [1995 Blunt Instrumentals Bint009]
- Sleeping Beneath The Clay Lathe-Cut 7″ Ep [1996 Blunt Instrumentals Bint011]
- Sandoz Lab Technicians [1996 Siltbreeze Sb-55]
- The Tale Of The Pixielamb [1997 Lotus Sound]
- An Ounce Of Birds Blood Lathe-Cut 7″ Ep [1998 Blunt Instrumentals Bint012]
- Synaptic Acres [Metonymic]
- The Three Imposters Triple 8″ Lathe-Cut Ep [Crawlspace]
- Let Me Lose My Mind Gracefully [1998 Corpus Hermeticum Hermes027]
- Everythings Fifteen [2004 Celebrate Psi Phenomenon 1007]