emerging out of hamilton in the mid 90s, originally as the more pop ‘trinket’, the datsuns soon became the epitome of raucous rock’n’roll. with the release of the ‘super-gyration’ single and a strong tour ethic, the band produced a fervent fan base. quite simply in the couple of years before their overseas success, the datsuns we’re the most explosive and primarily, most in-your-face-fun band in new zealand – maybe even the world.
sure it wasn’t original, but their huge riffs, sing-shout vocals, and ‘in-with’them approach to stage presence was something to behold. eventually the band became notorious as part of the rock’n’roll revival that built up in 2002 – they had been touring the united states and britain with the same kind of enthusiasm they displayed back home when journalistic interest took hold. signing to richard branson’s virgin offshoot (and home of fellow rock’n’rollers the white stripes) v2, they become a phenomena in new zealand, selling out show after show to increasingly manic audience, and further tightening their repertoire.
the self-titled debut was unfairly over-looked by most critics, mostly due to the entire hoopla involving the revival itself. what it represented was a raw, powerful collection of pure rock songs that was far more t-rex than ac/dc, but some critics didn’t see it that way. unfortunately, as they’ve become such a spectacle now, its a little hard to relate to the human side of their live performances, as playing on a big stage to a big crowd is a little different than mucking it in with 20 or so punters down the local.
2004 saw the band release their jean-paul jones (he of led zepplin fame) manning the decks for their sophomoric release, outta sight / outta mind, recorded at jacob studios in surrey.
picks in bold
- ‘super-gyration!’/’hoochie mama’ 7″ single [2000 hell-squad HS002]
- ‘fink for the man’/’transistor’ 7″ single [2001 hell-squad HS003]
- ‘lady’/’motherfucker from hell’ 7″ single [2001 hell-squad HS005]
- ‘in love’/’little bruise’ 7″ single [2002 hell-squad HS007] rn
- 2002 european tour 7″ single [2002 hell-squad HS008] rn
- the datsuns [2002 in-fidelity IF001CD] rn
- ‘harmonic generator’/’freeze sucker’ 7″ single [2002 hell-squad HS012]
- ‘motherfucker from hell’ 7″ single [2003 hell-squad HS015]
- outta sight / outta mind [2004 in-fidelity IF011CD]
download from mp3.co.nz
- motherfucker from hellrn