The Polish-born front-man (birth-name Lukaz Buda) for downbeat Wellington Popsters The Phoenix Foundation, after two albums Luke Buda has really found his feet as a professional pop song-writer, and found time to write and record his own solo debut in 2006 – the well received Special Suprise, among his groups many successes and the birth of his son.
Featuring contributions from Craig Terris, Rio Hemopo, Luke Benge, Sarah Jane Pardon, Mike Fab, Tom Callwood and the rest of The Phoenix Foundation lads, it reads like a who’s who of Wellington guest performers.
- Lukaz Buda (Vocals/Guitar/Keyboards, 2005 – 2008)
- Craig Terris (Drums/Vocals, 2006 – 2008)
- Tom Watson (Guitar/Bass/Vocals, 2006 – 2008)
- Tim Prebble (Bass, 2008)
- William Ricketts (Percussion, 2008)
- Samuel Scott (Vocals, 2008)
- Conrad Wedde (Drum Programming, 2008)
- Kezia Hinchey (Vocals, 2008)
- Sophie Burbery (Vocals, 2008)
- Andrew Bain (Bass, 2008)
- David Long (Banjo, 2008)
- Lee Prebble (Guitar, 2008)
- Stephen Gallagher (Piano/Organ, 2008)
- The C Sides (2005, Slow Boat Records)
- Special Surprise (2006, Arch Hill Recordings, AHR020)
- Vesuius (2008, Arch Hill Recordings, AHR035)
The one-man band that is James Milne – with eclectic and more fractured recordings than his material in the Reduction Agents (or for that matter former band the Brunettes). Milne is a charming story-teller, heavy on the whimsy and clever lines, low on the pretense – his live shows are something to behold and his recordings are just as fantastic.
After an oddball and poppy self-titled debut album, Milne’s 2009 follow-up ‘Chant Darling’ was an even bigger success The single ‘Apple Pie Bed’ (which he wrote and performed with the Phoenix Foundation’s Luka Buda) picked up the 2009 APRA Silver Scroll song-writers award, and exposed his songs to a wider audience.
2012 looks to be a busy year as Lawrence Arabia prepare to release ‘The Sparrow’ in July, and Milne is also busy acting and performing for the intriguing short-film ‘Uncle Bertie’s Botanarium’ (which is currently coming to the end of a PledgeMe funding drive – check out the details here).
Discography (picks in bold)
- Lawrence Arabia [2006 Lil Chief / Honorary Bedouin Records Lcr015 / Hbd002]
- Chant Darling [2009 Honorary Bedouin Records Hbd003]
- The Sparrow [2012 Bella Union]
APRA Silver Scroll 2009
- Lawrence Arabia – Apple Pie Bed
Taite Music Prize 2010
- Lawrence Arabia – Chant Darling