Dunedin based pop-rock featuring a young Jan Hellriegel, backed by Vanessa Anich, Flick Rhind, Sarah McNab, Megan Miller, Leanne Ibell and Zan Wright. released a couple of EP’s during their short tenure: 1988-1991.
- Jan Hellriegel (Guitar/Vocals/Piano, 1988 – 1991)
- Vanessa Anich (Drums, 1988 – 1991)
- Flick Rhind (Bass, 1988 – 1991)
- Sarah McNab (Percussion/Vocals, 1988 – 1991)
- Megan Miller
- Leanne Ibell (Guitar/Percussion, 1988 – 1991)
- Zan Wright (Vocals, 1990)
- Debs Frame (Saxophone, 1988)
- Danny Manetto (Cello, 1988)
- Private Wasteland EP (1988, Jayrem, JAY142)
- Your Estimation Cassette Single (1990, Jayrem, TC-Jay 738)
- The Cassandra’s Ears Story (2010, Blind Date Records, BDR003)
specialist independent label that dates back to 1977, distributing a wide assortment of moari, reggae, roots, alternative and womans music – particularly noteable are the excellent early 1980s post-punk releases of the freudian slips, the bizarre avant garage and charlotte yates’ many projects.
picks in bold
- barking up the right tree 
- capitol kaos 
- this island 
- three points of metal 
- kiwifruit salad [1984 BURT03]
- songs from the banana dominion 
- say something [1985 BURT05]
- packaged to sell 
- weird culture, weird custom 
- jayrem email [email contact]
- +64 4 939 3840
Early 80s Wellington Post-Punk Outfit In The Style Of The Au Pairs, Featuring Kate Walker, Stephen Norris, Matthew Fisher And Katherine Mcrae, And For A Short-Period Future Oscar Winner (And Member Of The Wallsockets) Frances Walsh.
The ‘5 Love Songs’ Ep Is Excellent, A Very Jagged And Fragmented Take On Post-Punk Where The Guitar Floats In And Out Of Thick Bass Grooves, And At Times Threatens To Explode – Later Culminating In An Almost-Psychadelic Styled Breakdown At The End Of The Ep.
Discography (picks in bold)