Matt Emery (Vocals and Keyboards) formed pop-via-hardcore group Amy Racecar in Napier in 2001 with Mike Crook, Gary Venn and Rebecca Truimvist. Subsequently he moved to Hamilton and the group went through an array of line-up changes, bring out several EPs and an LP for Hit Your Head Music before concluding around 2008.
The group recorded a track for the Shaun Smith Tribute on Yak Records and toured New Zealand with Body Corporate in 2006.
- Matt Emery (Vocals / Keyboards, 2001 – 2008?)
- Mike Crook (Guitar / Drums)
- Gary Venn (Bass / Guitar)
- Rebecca Truimvist (Drums)
- Alec Withers (Drums)
- Karl Smith (Bass / Vocals)
- Ben Thompson (Drums / Vocals)
- Chris Diprose (Drums)
- Frankie Ryan (Keyboards)
- Ashwin Singh (Keyboards)
- Gareth Bradley (Guitar)
- Todd Mohi (Bass)
- Mike Berry (Drums)
- Matt Scheurich (Percussion)
- Dwayne Diack (Bass)
- Gareth Reddington (Bass)
- Anthony Reu (Drums)
- Chris Nation (Viola / Cello)
- Aluvium EP (2003)
- People on Fire EP (2004, Hit Your Head Music)
- Endeavours EP (2005)
- Ephemera (2006)
- Conclusions (2007)
Mysterious pseudo-metal outfit on Hawkes Bay based Hit Your Head Music. Their details and album names all seem to be written / described in rune-style letters – not exactly documentation friendly.
The Hammer has crafted a live set which is a combination of noise, 80’s novelty metal, hardcore, grind, doom, ambient, all done with the punk / rock ‘n roll ethic.
Late 90’s outfit formed in Hastings, Big Blue Blanket played:
A mix of colorful ska (as opposed to the black and white kind), old school punk rock, bad rap, party dance & rock n’ roll
– Hit Your Head Music
The Hit Your Head Music label was formed to release their music, with Vocalist/Drummer Alec Withers also known from groups Devil’s Elbow and Tempo 38.
- Kym (Bass/Keys/Vocals)
- Luke Harlen (Bass)
- Aron Pallesen (Guitar/Vocals)
- Alec Withers (Vocals/Drums)
- Time Of The Day Demo (1996, Hanging Tree)
- Barkhead CD Single (1996, Hanging Tree)
- Every Time You Smile (1997, Hit Your Head Music)
- This Must Be The Party Demo (1998, Hit Your Head Music)
- This Must Be The Party EP (2002, Hit Your Head Music)
Auckland based spazzmo-eclectic noise-drone-pop-rock outfit formed around Stephen Horsley, Mark Stewart, ex-Marineville bassist Will Waters and Paul Phillips (drums).
The group are tied to Hawkes Bay-based Hit Your Head Music – as they have toured with ‘head regulars Amy Racecar and The Clerics.
- Stephen Horsley (Guitar / Vocals / Keyboards, 2004?)
- Mark Stewart (Guitar / Vocals / Keyboards, 2004?)
- Will Waters (Bass, 2004?)
- Paul Phillips (Drums, 2004?)
- Aaron (Bass)
- Stu (Drums)
- K3m / I was wrong all along 7″ single (2008, The Kingsland Vinyl Appreciation Society, KINGS002)
- Howlaround (2008, The Kingsland Vinyl Appreciation Society, KINGS004)
hawkes bay based independent label: “founded in 1996 as the release machine for lousy rock group big blue blanket, hit your head music now hosts a wide range of musical talents”. check out their website for info on bands like angel hammer, horowitz and other local outfits.
picks in bold
- hit your head music website [official website]
- hit your head music email [contact email]
- +64 6 843-3836 [contact cell-phone]
- +64 21 130-5464 [contact cell-phone]
- hit your head musicrn
- 805 cook placern
- hawkes bayrn
- new zealand [postal address]