Energetic screaming, rugged rhythms and a sloppy swagger that suits anyone looking for a glaring upheaval of standard musical thoroughfare…” “…equivalent to a hyperactive Daniel Johnston recklessly exorcising himself of inner demons with the help of the finest extra-lo-fi equipment.
– Andrew Magilow; Splendid Magazine
‘Destructo-rock’ outfit extraordinaire. Originally formed in Dunedin by Matt Middleton (aka Crude), Rustle Covini and j-Mz Robinson in 1995 in a purely punk flavor, after a few successful parties and the odd gig, j-Mz was replaced by Shaun Jury – the line-up that released the debut ‘My Right to Riches’ LP.
Crude’s Matt Middleton has erupted from the shackles of noise to stomp the grounds of sonic punkdom. Following his forefathers in bands like The Pin Group, Henchmen, and La De Da’s, monsieur Middleton has carved a new sound.
– Forced Exposure
By 1997 Stefan Neville (Pumice / The Futurians) had replaced Covini, but then left in 1998 – off to Auckland, along with Shaun. Pat Kraus (drums) and Fyfe (bass) made up the numbers for the rest of the bands career, eventually releasing the ‘Off’ LP before splitting in 2001.
- Matt Middleton (Guitar/Vocals/Keyboards/Saxophone/Drums, 1995 -)
- Rustle Covini (Drums)
- James Robinson (Bass)
- Shaun Jury (Bass/Guitar
- Stefan Neville (Drums)
- Pat Kraus (Drums)
- Fyfe (Electronics)
- Jason Barrett (Bass/Saxophone)
- Edie Stevens (Bass)
- Lynton Denovan (Drums)
- Malcolm Deans (Drums)
- College Rock Cassette (1997, Dirtlove Records)
- I Just Don’t Get It 7″ Lathe (1997, Dirtlove)
- Dunedin Punks 7 Cassette (1997, A Stabbies And The Rocket Recording)
- Doomtown Fuzz Lathe-Cut 7″ (1997, Dirtlove)
- My Right To Ritches LP (1999, Ecstatic Peace!, E#4b)
- Split Ep Lathe-Cut 7″ (W/ The Ho Dogs, Dirtlove)
- Secrets Of Japanese Nationalism Double 8″ Lathe-Cut (Crawlspace / Dirtlove)
- Crown Sat Nov 11 Cassette (W/ Murdering Monsters 2001, Slag Strut Records)
- Off (2001, Mental Telemetry, Tele003)
- Ugly Ambition (2009, Artless Intent, AI006)
- Dusk Husk 7″ Lathe (2010, Epic Sweep, ES002)
- Live at the Crown Cassette (2011, Epic Sweep, ES011)