Forming in 2004 the Wellington-based trio of Will Rattray (Guitar and Vocals), Danny Brady (Bass, Synth) and Peter Copeland (Electronic Drums) started out as an slack-vocaled Surf-Rock group, however their sound has changed quite a lot over the years.
After releasing their popular ‘Your Telepathy’ EP back in 2005, and album ‘Teleport Palace’ in 2008, the group spent some time in Berlin, lost long-time drummer Copeland, and turned more and more electronic. The group have recorded with Bevan Smith and Dale Cotton, and have been associated with A Low Hum, Powertool Records and Frase Austin’s Crystal Magic label.
Discography (picks in bold)
- Your Telepathy CD-r EP [2005 self-released]
- Teleport Palace [2008 Involve INVOLVE18]
- Total Recall EP [2012 Crystal Magic]
- Ocean Dream 
Bizarre Auckland synth and vocal duo (Chris Cudby and Daif King) who play a gritty, distorted and, err, wiggly take on drone-pop. I had an unfortunate habit of missing each of their sets on a recent excursion up north, caught between being witness to the Shocking Pinks shedding members during their Eden’s Bar show, and rushing to see Sonic Youth as the duo busked outside. But i did pick up their debut cd-r, a rambling and chaotic mix of blurred vocals, white noise and…. catchy melodies! All recorded in sub-atomic ultra-lo-fi goodness and packaged in unique sleeves. Made for a positively jolly ride to the airport, surrounded by a bus full of chart-pop fan swedes.
As A Low Hum‘s Blink will attest (one of their first releases graced the 2nd edition of his excellent fanzine), there’s something magnetic about their Casio-tone driven grind and junk-shop music mentality. Kinda like if the Tall Dwarfs indulged in a little more La Monte Young action (huge distorted walls of droning lo-fi – in their case in keyboard form) while wearing live squid strapped onto their faces. warped.
Late in 2004 the duo finally made it south, touring as part of the A Low Hum collective, this time carting CD-r’s of Hypercolours – their third release, an album-lengthed EP. Its bit more cohesive and full-formed than the debut, its a pretty twisted, but enjoyable sunday afternoon headphone piece.
Discography (picks in bold)
- Golden Shakehands CD-r [2004 Self-Released]
- Yum CD-r EP [2005 Self-Released]
- Hypercolours CD-r EP [2005 Self-Released]
- Party Alarm Bells [2006 Stink Magnetic]
- Peaceful Planet Live Cassette [2008 Crystal Magic]
- Fabourite New Machine (Thought Creature) Remix CD-r EP [2008 Stink Magnetic / Crystal Magic]
- Best Of Both Worlds Cassette [2009 Crystal Magic]
- Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ Digital Single [2009 Crystal Magic / Cheese On Toast]
- Hot And Cold EP [2009 Crystal Magic]
- We Walk In Circles (Computers Want Me Dead) Remix CD-r [2009 Crystal Magic]
- Golden Axe Ampler CD-r [2010 Crystal Magic]
- Free Time Digital EP [2010 Crystal Magic]
- Fantasy Footwork [2010 Crystal Magic]
- Telephone EP [2010 Crystal Magic]
- Sexual Angel (Featuring Princess Chelsea) Digitial Single [2011 Crystal Magic]
- Liquid Bacon [2011 AMDiscs]