Two-piece Christchurch instrumental outfit based around Danny Bare (Ex-Substandard / Shocking Pinks – Guitar) and Rustle Covini (Ex-Aesthetics – Drums), who originally formed as Electric Slipper in March 2004. Bare’s an enthusiastic Post-Rock and Krautrock fan, and Silo display a firm grip on the Motorik approach of Can and (in particular) Neu! – whom they cover in their live set.
Bares’ an etheral guitarist, having a firm grip on tone and dynamics, whilst Covini is a rolling, rumbling drummer – they make for an effective duo. Both members currently split their time between multiple bands (Lome, the Beautiful Losers etc) and are fairly prominent fixtures in the current Christchurch underground live scene.
Discography (picks in bold)
Co-founder of the Krkrkrk label (along with David Khan) and a prolific member of a number of Christchurch underground bands dating back to the early 90s, Peter Wright is also an exceedingly prolific solo musician, releasing material under multiple guises on Krkrkrk (Bent Gastropod Omnibus, In Vitro, Coitus) as well as on his own label, Apoplexy. Wright is also one of the creative minds behind the brilliant Krautrock superstars Beautiful Losers.
Discography (picks in bold)
- Wank [As Bent Gastropod Omnibus 1993 Krkrkrk Krk003]
- Expresso Spasm [As Bent Gastropod Omnibus 1993 Krkrkrk Krk004]
- Haggis [As Bent Gastropod Omnibus 1994 Krkrkrk Krk010]
- Dust To Dust [As In Vitro 1995 Krkrkrk Krk043]
- Drag [As In Vitro 1995 Krkrkrk Krk051]
- Seep [As In Vitro 1995 Krkrkrk Krk058]
- 040769 [As Coitus 1996 Krkrkrk Krk060]
- Man In Blue Box [As Coitus 1996 Krkrkrk Krk064]
- Man In Glass Cage [As Coitus 1996 Krkrkrk Krk074]
- Duna Cdr [1997? Last Visible Dog Lvd024]
- Lp #1 [1998 Apoplexy Apx05]
- Syncopate Cdr [1998? Apoplexy Apx06]
- Moments Of Inappropriate Abandon Lathe-Cut Double-7″ [1998? Apoplexy Apx07]
- Radioplay Cdr [1999? Apoplexy Apx09]
- Automaton Cdr [1999? Apoplexy Apx10]
- Confinement And Release Cdr [2000 W/ Dave Khan Apoplexy Apx12]
- Transfusion Cdr [2000 Last Visible Dog Lvd044]
- Distant Bombs Cdr [Apoplexy Apx15]
- Bent Gastropod Omnibus [Compilation Of Bent Gastropod Omnibus Material 2002 Krkrkrk Krk120]
- In Vitro No. 1 [Compilation Of In Vitro Material 2002 Krkrkrk Krk121]
- In Vitro No. 2 [Compilation Of In Vitro Material 2002 Krkrkrk Krk122]
- Coitus [Compilation Of Coitus Material 2002 Krkrkrk Krk123]
- A Tiny Camp In The Wilderness [Celebrate Psi Phenomenon]
- Catch A Spear As It Flies Cd-R [2003? Celebrate Psi Phenomenon]
- The Broken Kawai Cd-R [2003? Pseudoarcana Pa017]
- Desolation Beauty Violence Cd-R [2004 Foxglove Foxglove026]
- Yellow Horizon [2005 Pseudoarcana]
A fine and surprisingly accessible collaborative band that featured the usually challenging Peter Wright (Guitar) and Dave Khan (Keyboards), with the ever-propulsive drumming of Rustle Covini.
The band lasted throughout 2002 and 2003 before Wright relocated to London, though Khan’s Fostex VF16 Digital 16-track records live on, as the group released a self-titled double-album on both Khans’ kRkRkRk and Wright’s Apoplexy labels in 2004, and subsequently a digital release entitled ‘First to the Sun’ in 2013.
- Peter Wright (Guitar, 2003 – 2004)
- David Khan (Keyboards, 2003 – 2004)
- Rustle Covini (Drums, 2003 – 2004)
- Bootleg CDr EP (2003, Self-released)
- Beautiful Losers Double CDr (2004, kRkRkrk / Apoplexy)
- First to the Sun (2013, Distant Bombs, 994)