Java Coffee House

Also known as:

Location: 219 High Street, Central Christchurch

Current Status: Demolished post-earthquake, replaced by commercial buildings

Active as a live music venue: 1990’s – 2000’s

Bar Manager: –

Bookings:

Website: https://www.facebook.com/Java-Coffee-House-181360191874319/

Capacity: –

All-Ages: Yes

Open-plan two-story Cafe on a (previously) busy corner in central Christchurch – Java was a quirky place with a colorful interior, good coffee and food. When Cafe’s were starting to explode in the late 90’s, Java was one of the places to be for young people in Christchurch.

Java Coffee House Interior

As a result they pumped a lot of good music and put on the occasional live show, with a handful of musicians working behind the counter over the years. Java was also heavily tied to local dance music, promoting locals raves alongside the original Cosmic Corner (which was just down High Street).

The Cafe was heavily damaged in the February 2011 Earthquake and eventually demolished, now replaced by a commercial building next to Strangers Lane.

History

2011: Damaged in the Canterbury Earthquakes, Demolished in July 2011.

Contact Details

Links

Java Coffee House [Facebook]

Cartel

Also known as:

Location: SOL Square, Central Christchurch

Current Status: Demolished post-earthquake

Active as a live music venue: 2000’s – 2011

Bar Manager: Johnny Moore

Bookings:

Website:

Capacity: 40

All-Ages: No

Tiny bar in the SOL Square laneway run by bar proprietor (and future boss of Smash Palace) Johnny Moore. Cartel was pitched as a Cuban bar.

Always popular (and cramped!), Cartel set a template which Moore followed with the significantly more spacious Goodbye Blue Monday.

As SOL Square was destroyed during the Christchurch Earthquakes of 2010 and 2011, the site is currently vacant.

History

Contact Details

Links

Café Bleu

Also known as: Zetland Hotel, Zetland Arms, New Zetland Hotel

Location: 88 Cashel Street, Central Christchurch

Current Status: Demolished Post-Earthquake, site is currently part of the Container Mall

Active as a live music venue: 1970’s – 2000’s

Bar Manager: –

Bookings:

Website:

Capacity: –

All-Ages: No

On the site of one of the original Hotels opened in Christchurch, the Zetland Hotel was a popular bar, night club and music venue through the boom years of the 1970’s and 1980’s.

Cafe Bleu, January 2011 (from Kete Christchurch / Wikipedia)

The Hotel has a long and bizarre history, well documented on Stephen Symons’ literary pages.

With new proprietors the Hotel was renamed Cafe Bleu in 1990 and continued to operate as a venue, though by the late 1990’s this primarily meant regular covers acts.

History

  • 1862 Original Hotel on the site – known as Parkers’ Hotel was built.
  • 1865 Parkers’ Hotel becomes Zetland Arms Hotel.
  • 1888 Zetland Arms stable horseman William Harding dies after being kicked by a stabled horse.
  • 1901 Original building destroyed by fire.
  • 1902 New Zetland Hotel opens on old site.
  • 1921 Frank McAtavey falls to his death from an upstairs bathroom window.
  • 1973 M Mummery and D Robinson convert the Zetland Hotel into a nightclub.
  • 1990 The Zetland becomes Cafe Bleu.
  • 2011 Cafe Bleu is heavily damaged in the Canterbury Earthquake, with the external brick wall collapsing. The build is later demolished and replaced (at least temporarily) by the Container Mall.

Contact Details

Links

Cecil House

Also known as:

Location: 69-75 Manchester Street, Central Christchurch

Current Status: Demolished post-earthquake, replaced by commercial buildings

Active as a live music venue: 2000’s

Bar Manager: –

Bookings:

Website:

Capacity: –

All-Ages: House-Parties

Cecil House was an old retail and residential building on the corner of Manchester and Welles street that was eventually damaged, then demolished after the Canterbury Earthquakes of 2010 / 2011.

Cecil House exterior circa 2009, taken from Kete Christchurch

 

Though original built as a Hotel around 1905, by the 1980’s the building had become a mix of residential accommodation and retail shop-fronts. The building itself had fallen in to disrepair and became suitably cheap accommodation, with quite a few musicians occupying flats in the 2nd and 3rd floor during the 1980’s and 1990’s.

Kris Taylor of Leper Ballet circa 2004

 

As a result quite a few large-scale house parties were held here during the 90’s and in to the 2000’s.

History

  • Built around 1905, originally as a Hotel
  • Fell in to disrepair during the 1980’s and 1990’s
  • Many musicians lived here during the 1990’s and 2000’s
  • Damaged then demolished after the Canterbury Earthquakes of 2010 / 2011

Contact Details

Links

The Log Cabin

Also known as:

Location: 448 Madras Street, St Albans

Current Status: No longer a venue

Active as a live music venue: 2000’s – 2010’s

Bar Manager: –

Bookings:

Website:

Capacity: –

All-Ages: House-Parties

Old and dilapidated wooden villa on Madras Street that functioned as a rather excellent venue for house parties and all-age events for a few years prior to the Canterbury Earthquakes in 2010 / 2011.

Occupied by a variety of individuals connected to Christchurch live music, student radio (RDU) and all-ages (Red Panda) scenes, the house was opened up for day time shows on the front-lawn or in the living room.

Chris Young of the Insurgents performing outside at the Log Cabin

The occupants lived through the 2010 / 2011 Canterbury Earthquakes, but eventually moved out – the owners then discovering how extensively damaged the building was – though the original building still stands as of 2017.

Former tenant, Red Panda member and RDU Sheep Technique DJ Eamonn Marra provided a (presumed) complete list of the acts that played the Log Cabin over the years:

  • Crackhouse 5
  • Ghostwork
  • Sleepy Age
  • (classic) Insurgents
  • The Hatemen
  • Valdera
  • Jeffrey and Jack Lewis
  • Wet Wings
  • Canterbury Rams
  • Body 125
  • Hypercolour
  • Thrill Collins
  • Tono and the Finance Company
  • Capsul
  • Delaney Davidson
  • Jack Hooker

History

 

Contact Details

Links

Crime Front

Also known as:

Location: 172 Kilmore Street, Central Christchurch

Current Status: Demolished post-earthquake

Active as a live music venue: 2000’s – 2015

Bar Manager: –

Bookings:

Website:

Capacity: –

All-Ages: House-Parties

A decrepit old wooden villa on Kilmore Street occupied primarily by Michael Boulden (who used the space as a recording studio / video editing office) and professional musician Simon Nunn, whilst other musicians (including The Pickups /  Terror of the Deeps William Daymond) came and went over the years – taking advantage of the 6 rooms and ridiculously cheap $200 rent.

Both Boulden and Nunn have strong connections to the Christchurch live music scene – particularly the Stefan van Soest Hit Machine (of which Nunn has been a long-time member), and as such hosted a large number of house parties over the years.

One room was set up as a practice space, so there was always an array of amplifiers and a drum kit available, and parties would often stretch far in to the early hours, particularly after the earthquake impacted neighbors gradually moved out.

In the early 2010’s, Boulden lent keyboards to Nunns drums, guitar and vocals, forming the duo Bergerac – an eclectic studio creation, forming the pseudo-label Crime Front Kilmore to release the material.

The house was heavily damaged in the Canterbury Earthquakes, however it was still habitable for quite a period after, until finally being marked for demolition in 2015.

History

Contact Details

Links

The Pickups

Biography

Long-running Christchurch trio (originally a duo under the name the Twin Towers… then the Distractions, finally settling on the Pickups in October 2003) fronted by William Daymond, with Isaac Mawson and Jared Kelly.

A fixture of the Christchurch and then Wellington live scenes for the best part of a decade before releasing their aptly titled debut/retrospective ‘Finally… The Pickups’ in 2010. Mawson’s then-girlfriend Bri Yaakoup (later of Frase + Bri) played keyboards for a period in 2005-2006

Taking elements of classic Flying Nun acts like the Chills and the Clean, psychedelic West Coast pop-rock and the free-wheeling fun of the Monkees and the Beach Boys as their primary inspirations.

Daymond and Mawson both moved to Wellington – Daymond is a member of both the Axemen and Terror of the Deep, whilst Jared Kelly has been a member of Palace of Wisdom and Coal.

Members

  • William Daymond (Guitar/Vocals, 2002-2010)
  • Isaac Mawson (Drums, 2002-2010)
  • Jared Kelly (Bass, 2004-2010)
  • Bri Yaakoup (Keyboards, 2005-2006)

Discography

  • Finally… The Pickups (2010 Worship the Owl 001)

Links

Cassels and Son’s The Brewery

Also known as: The Brewery, The Tannery

Location: The Tannery, 3 Garlands Road, Woolston

Current Status: Running as a bar and restaurant with Blue Smoke next door

Active as a live music venue: 2011 – 2015

Bar Manager: –

Bookings: –

Website: –

Capacity:

All-Ages: Occasionally

Now a restaurant and bar and originally constructed as a craft brewery, the Brewery functioned as a live music venue at a time when there were few operating in Christchurch – immediately after the February 2011 earthquakes.

A large, narrow venue with good food and a fair amount of outside seating, the Brewery has also been a popular spot for regular quiz nights and other events.

There wasn’t any stage to speak off, just an area near the Western entrance to the venue with a small PA and a mixing desk near by. As a result (and the fact the venue functioned mostly as a restaurant), shows were fairly sedate and low-key.

Mikey Summerfield playing a solo set at the Brewery

With Blue Smoke replacing Gustav’s next door in 2015, it appears that the Brewery no longer operates as a live music venue.

History

1874: Building constructed as part of the Woolston tannery complex.

1994: Alasdair Cassel purchases tannery site.

2009: Alasdair Cassel opens the Cassel and Sons Brewery as part of his new retail complex on the old Tannery site, brewing beer and distributing to local outlets.

2010/11: After the Canterbury Earthquakes, the Brewery re-opens as a venue.

2013: Gustav’s Kitchen and Wine Bar re-opens as a new venue within the Tannery site.

2015: Gustav’s becomes Blue Smoke, now a bar and live music venue, The Brewery no longer seems to be a live venue.

Contact Details

  • Cassels and Son’s The Brewery
  • 3 Garlands Road, Woolston, Christchurch

Links

https://casselsbrewery.co.nz/ [Main Venue Website]

https://www.facebook.com/casselsandsons.thebrewery [Facebook]

[Instagram]

Al’s Bar

Also known as:

Location: 31 Dundas Street, Central Christchurch

Current Status: Demolished post-earthquake, replaced by commercial buildings

Active as a live music venue: 2004 – 2011

Bar Manager: Al Park

Bookings:

Website:

Capacity: –

All-Ages: Occasionally

Mid-sized venue on the South side of Central Christchurch operated by long-time fixture of the Christchurch music scene – Al Park. Al had been a notable figure in the pub rock and (eventually) punk music that sprung up around the Mollett Street performance space in the late 1970’s, but it took until 2004 before Al had a venue of his own.

Al’s Bar had (at one point) two stages at opposite ends of the venue and a small outside courtyard.

Al’s Bar exterior, taken from Al’s Bar facebook

This was a popular venue up until the Canterbury Earthquakes of 2010 / 2011, with touring bands, popular local acts, and even double-header shows by A Low Hum using the ample space. Legendary US grunge act the Melvins played Al’s on February 21st 2011, the day prior to the fatal earthquake which eventually claimed the venue itself. Trouble seemed to follow the group, as immediately after Christchurch they traveled to Tokyo, just before the Japanese earthquake of 2011 struck.

Along with Al Park, sound-guy Dave Mitchell was usually on-hand, and the bar was known among local performers for being a bit of a struggle when it came to asking entry fees – thanks to a large volume of ‘regulars’ that insisted their connection to Al got them free entry!

The venue had some nice features, with a good not-too-expensive bar, polite bar staff, a decent, high-powered PA system with great monitors and stage sound, and a projection screen above the larger stage, which made for some pretty great photos:

Mike Ellis of the Insurgents at Al’s Bar

History

  • 2004: Opened as a live music venue’
  • 2010: Damaged in 2010 Earthquakes, but re-opens soon after’
  • 2011: Earthquakes permanently close the venue.

Contact Details

Links

All Plastics

Also known as:

Location: 430 Tuam Street, Philipstown

Current Status: No longer a venue/studio

Active as a live music venue: 2004 – 2012

Bar Manager: –

Bookings:

Website:

All-Ages: House-Parties

A former plastic manufacturing business located in industrial Philipstown, All Plastics was originally leased by Nick O’Keefe of the Undercurrents some time in the 2000’s. O’Keefe, along with his band members (which included local sound-men Marcus Winstanley and Mikey Summerfield, plus Phantom Billstickers’ Jamey Holloway) began using the site as a recording studio and practice space.

Anthony Drenthe playing inside All Palstics in 2012

O’Keefe eventually moved out of the premise, with Summerfield the prime occupant for a period – during this time more and more groups started using both the recording and practice facilities.

John Harris and Ben Dodd performing outside All Plastics in 2012

 

 

Several house-party type shows were put on both inside and outside the studio space, before the last occupant (Rhett Copland of Doctors etc) left around 2013.

History

2004: Nick O’Keefe of the Undercurrents rents the former plastics factory at 430 Tuam Street, starting construction of a home studio to record his groups material.

2007: Mikey Summerfield (also of the Undercurrents) moves in, becoming the main occupant. More bands begin using the practice and recording space, and subsequently house parties with live music are held at the site.

2012: Rhett Copland (the last occupant) moves out.

Contact Details

Links