at the forefront of new zealand independent pop in the 00s is lil chief records, a small, but firmly established label maintained by [the tokey tones] scott mannion and [the brunettes] jonathan bree. lil chief estasblished their name and chirpy indie-pop focus with the stunning debut of auckland popsters the brunettes, and follow-up releases from the tokey tones, and the sublime nudie suits.
2004 seems to be an even stronger year for the dynamic new label, with the follow-up from the high-riding brunettes, along with new recordings from the dynamic shaft, edmund cake’s quirky solo debut, and the long-awaited 2nd album from christchurch’s alec bathgate, making their way into stores.
picks in bold
- now we are three [2005 us release]
picks in bold
Quickly Established Wellington Rock’N’Roll Label. Adding A Little Polish To Their Lo-Fi Primitive Recordings With Professional Cds And Decent Marketing, The Label Quickly Established A Firm Roster With A Couple Of Compilation Releases, Plus Records By The Users, The Raskolnikovs And Cherry.
Compilation Discography (picks in bold)
- Trashed! 
- Too Trashed! 
Tiny Christchurch-based label initiated by Campbell McLay, that put out cassette (and some vinyl) releases from the likes of the Bottletops and the Riptoids, and continues to release Ritchie Venus’s many cdr releases (Venus aka Michael Braithwaite is involved in the labels running).
Through-out the 80s the compiled a swagger of local acts onto their Krypton Hits compilation series, and were associated with Arnie Van Bussells’ Nightshift studio. In 2012 the label went through something of a renaissance with German label Unwucht Musik re-issuing Venus’s 1998 album ‘Rocking to the Grave’, and then compiling various back-catalogue tracks from the Krypton Hits series as ‘Krypton Hits’, an excellently packaged vinyl-only release.
Picks in Bold
- twenty solid krypton hits [1982 PR1072]
- twenty krypton hits: vol. one cassette [1983 K002]
- donkey and the albatross ep 
- krypton green cassette [1984 K003]
- krypton red cassette [1984 K004]
- krypton amber cassette [1984 K005]
- kv1 7″ ep [1985 KV001]
- get up and go video [1985 VC001]
- k9k9 video [1986 VC002]
- off our shoulders [1987 PR2377]
- kveetwo cassette [1987 K007]
- kveethree cassette [1987 K008]
- nightshift video [1988 VC005]
- Michael Braithwaite [email contact]
- +64 3 338-3071 [phone number]
- Onset/Offset Recordings
- P.O. Box 2764
- New Zealand [postal address]