Bob Cardy has a long history of making lo-fi, shambolic and DIY rock music.
From the early days of post-Vacuum Blue Ladder Christchurch with the infamous Axemen (then known as Bob Brannigan), through to the eventual rise of Shaft in late 1990’s Auckland, often with Lil’ Stevie McCabe as his song-writing partner.
- Robert Cardy (Vocals/Guitar)
- Lallapaloosa Cassette (1987, Every Secret Thing, EST33)
- Fat Spring Coal & Diamonds In The Lava Cassette (1987, Sleek Bott, Bott8)
- Milky Bar Odes Cassette (1987 Sleek Bott, Bott14)
- A Thousand And One Stag Nights Cassette (1988 Sleek Bott, Bott21)
- Gloss Cassette (1988, Sleek Bott, Bott23)
Dunedin trio made up of Justin Buli, Les O’Neil and Stefan Neville (Pumice).
They say it’s the water, I reckon it’s the beer! Either seeping out of a cold practice room or squawking out of a warm venue, these ‘youngsters’ blend an exciting mixture of cosmic jazz. 5 songs in a green dayglo sleeve with gold lino prints.
- Justin Buli
- Les O’Neil
- Stefan Neville
- Rico Cassette (1995, A Stabbies And The Rocket Recording)
- Anteatus (1996, A Stabbies And The Rocket Recording)
- Casagrante Apparatus Double 8″ Lathe-Cut (1996)
A band that never really got going.
Cat! Cat! Cat! was formed by guitarists Brenda Dwayne and Stephanie Cook of Fake Purr with Xanadu drummer Bruce Wurr, playing a one-off gig in 1999. The trio re-appeared in 2002, then again in 2003 – this time with The Aesthetics Shaun Jury taking up the role of bass-player.
This line-up recorded their self-titled mini-album before the band split in mid-2004.
- Brenda Dwayne (Guitar, 1999 – 2004)
- Stephanie Cook (Guitar, 1999 – 2004)
- Bruce Wurr (Drums, 1999 – 2004)
- Shaun Jury (Bass, 2003 – 2004)
- Cat! Cat! Cat! Mini-Album (2004, Self-Released, CAT001)
Word on the street is that this Palmerston North 4-piece metal-core / punk outfit comprised of Ted Moriarty, Andy Campbell, Shaun Anderson and Sophie Burgess are just about the best up and coming band in the country.
All four are barely out of high school, but the quartet made quite a name for themselves during 2004 thanks to the annual Smokefree Rockquest and appearances alongside Die! Die! Die!
- Ted Moriarty (Guitar/Vocals)
- Andy Campbell (Guitar)
- Shaun Anderson (Drums)
- Sophie Burgess (Bass)
- Cathedra (2004, Self-Released)
Palmerston North 4-piece with a single EP to their name. Vocalist Boekman would go on to the Bananamen.
- Leonard Carney (Drums, 1986)
- Elenaor Boekman (Vocals/Bass, 1986)
- Sean O’Conner (Guitar, 1986)
- Jonathan Collins (Guitar/Saxophone/Vocals, 1986)
- The Only One EP (1986, Meltdown Records, MELT004)
Wellington pirate punk with a violin player!
Although by 2003 half the band moved to Nelson, they still toured and played whenever possible.
Feminist folk punk from Sian Sabotage Sammy Vulture, Lisa Lucifa and Jana Java. The group took on a strong anti-discrimination stance after their 14yr old friend Jeff Whittington was murdered in 1999 – apparently over his appearance.
- Sian Sabotage (Guitar/Vocals, 1999 – 2004?)
- Amelia (Vocals, 1999?)
- Sammy Vulture (Violin, 1999 – 2004?)
- Lisa Lucifa (Bass/Vocals, 1999 – 2004?)
- Kitty (Drums, 1999?)
- Jana Java (Drums, 1999? – 2004?)
- Adam (Guitar)
- Rosemary (Violin)
- Carnys (2002, Nay Records)
- Live And Into The Gutter (2003)
Completely unknown presumably-experimental recordings that involve Glory Fckn Sun member (and now UK resident) Ben Spiers in some capacity (Guitar? Violin?).
- Creative Theory Submission CDr (2003, Cave of Tongue Productions)