dunedin sonic 3-piece (tristian dingermans, dino karlins and neil phillips) in the mold of a louder, younger mogwai, born out of metal influence and small-town frustration, their startling sophmoric higher ep  was given the remix treatment sound after release, resulting in the expanded and thoroughly dynamic higher++ album the following year, singalling a new change in focus.
what happened is that the bands sparse, thundering tones were processed and reformed by local producers to a more melodic and soothing end, in particular Soundproof’s remix of ‘lull’ becoming something of a hit, an intense epic of a song that fluctuates with great beauty and shimmering gleam. this trend continued with the diverse follow-up cross-channel multi-tap, which even caught the ear of veteran us producer steve albini, who took the band under his wing for 2001s us debut fireworks.
picks in bold
- abstinence: acrimony cd single [1995 flying nun FN348]
- ‘abstinence’/’delicacy’ 7″ single [1995 flying nun FN348]
- sum of the few [1996 flying nun FN381]
- higher cd ep [1997 flying nun FN407]
- higher++ [1998 flying nun FN410]
- crosschannel multitap [1998 flying nun FN414]
- momento mori cd ep [2000 flying nun FN430]
- fireworks [2001 flying nun FN450]
download from mp3.co.nz
- lull (soundproof remix)rn
- the shark and the pilot fishrn