Doctors is the original material of Rhett Robert Elliot Copland, a prolific Christchurch guitarist who has been in a number of local groups (The Stash and covers group The Free and Easy). In 2008 Copland formed a live band to perform his material, including several musicians from local act the Lonely Harris Club (mostly a Brian Jonestown Massacre tribute act) – which Copland is also a one-time member.
Though the same handful of musicians would also appear in the original group Bits and Pieces (aka BnP), Doctors had a more slick, guitar-orientated sound and the group released a huge collection of recordings in just a short time-period.
However Copland grew frustrated with the lineup and disbanded the group in early 2012. Members have included: Rhett Copland (Neurology), Matt Sime (Psychology), John Harris (Gastroenterology), Hollan Brabet (Psychiatry), Laura Anne North (Gynecology), Jamie Stratton (Rheumatology) and Ben Dodd (Radiology).
I canned it because I was sick of working with bloody idiots who refused to learn arrangements and cancelled shows for kiwi quarter acre paradise 21st and yard glass sessions.
– Rhett Copland
Discography (picks in bold)
- Old Meds [October 2009 self-released]
- By Aeroplane [December 2009 self-released]
- Save no one [November 2010 self-released]
- Old, new and forgotten stuff [February 2011 self-released]
- Domestic [August 2011 self-released]
- Your a fucking pussy [October 2011 self-released]
- ‘A’ [November 2011 self-released]
- Back to rural violence [December 2011 self-released]
- Happy Birthday Alice! Digital Single [March 2012 self-released]