Coal are energy in another form.
Long-lasting groovy Christchurch noise-rock cum post-rock band based around the core guitar duo of Andrew Hensley and Jeremy Symonds.
Despite the best part of 2 decades as a live act, the group has yet to record, and have been through several ‘phases’ in their lifetime with an evolving sound and band line-up.
Circa 2016/2017 the group are now a tight 4-piece with a huge sound – bolstered by excellent bassist Gareth Heta’s shear volume and the confidence the group now posses. Hensley in particular has come on in spades, with a great snarl and caustic lyrics (ala Mark E Smith) added to his guitar attack. ‘Peter Mead’ is a live favorite.
- Andrew Hensley (Guitar/Vocals, 2004 -)
- Jeremy Symonds (Guitar, 2004 – )
- Lachlan Beban (Guitar, 2004 – 2006?)
- Scott Butcher (Drums, 2004 – 2006?)
- Jared Kelly (Drums/Bass, 2006 – 2008?, 2014 – 2015)
- Cam Walker (Drums, 2006?)
- William Daymond (Bass/Organ, 2006 – 2007)
- Fleur De Lis (Guitar, 2006, 2007)
- Matt Craw (Guitar, 2007?)
- George Gossett (Keyboard?, 2007?)
- Paul Kidd (Electronics, 2008)
- Danny Knight-Bare (Drums, 2008? – )
- Gareth Heta (Bass, 2015? -)