weird 3-piece punk outfit, originally from nelson who relocated to christchurch, won the dux band competition (charming the crowd with such stunts as throwing meat at the audience..), and using the profits to record and release their own debut (2001’s the cantankerous mainstream). the clowndog boys were frontman spanky (guitar, vocals), sherbert (bass), and pants (drums). they ended up becoming regulars on christchurch’s rdu college radio station, even getting their own show before disappearing again in 2002. during their lifetime the band produced 4 (5?) self-released eps, and somehow got away with high profile support slots for breathe and even bic runga!
picks in bold
- who’s eating the dead fish? ep [1996 self-released]
- soggy/saggy ep [1998 self-released]
- mystery meat [2000 self-released]
- clowndog lathe-cut 10″ ep [self-released]
- the cantankerous mainstream [2001 self-released]