Formed in 1994 the four piece Chicane rapidly gained a strong following in their home town of Christchurch.
The band features the vocal and guitar talents of Dean Chiplin who was last seen on the Failsafe Records label on the Avalanche compilation playing guitar for Supertanker. David Toland on drums and Che Rogers on bass duties and shared their talents between Chicane and Springloader who featured on the ‘Good things’ compilation.
Taking advantage of recording time offered in Greymouth the band have put together a six song mini album which embraces the variety of songs in their live set.
Drummer Toland moved to Auckland after the recordings and is replaced by Whetham Alpress. The band performed gigs locally before founder members Chiplin and Schilder decide to move to Auckland, replacing Alpress with Toland and Rogers with Dylan (Elevation).
Chicane’s music is predominantly solid guitar based, ranging from the swooning pop of fabrication and scatter bomb to the hard edged wired sounds of v-flare and the title track. the up beat downtime has gain inclusion on kiwi hit disc 14.
– Rob Mayes at Failsafe Records
- Dean Chiplin (Guitar/Vocals, 1994-)
- Justin Schilder (Guitar/Vocals, 1994-)
- Che Rogers (Bass, 1994 -)
- David Toland (Drums, 1994 -)
- Wheltham Alpress (Drums)
- Dylan (Bass)
- ‘V-Flare’/’Fabrication’ 7″ Lathe-cut (Self-Released)
- Revs per minute EP (1994, Failsafe Records, SAFE040)
- Chicane Profile on Failsafe Records website